Monday, April 4, 2016

Politics and Indian Education.


Yesterday I was helping my daughter prepare for her class 5 History exam and came upon this chapter. I am no expert in education but something seems seriously amiss in this chapter. Do our kids need to study about Medha Patkar or Mallika Sarabai or Sharukh Khan? Are these the best examples of achievers in this country? Do we not have scientists or businessmen or sports people who could perhaps be better qualified to be on these pages?  I am surprised that Teesta Setalvad isn't a part of this chapter.  I am sure if someone from the HRD ministry tried to drop some of these obviously dubious names it would be called saffronization  of education. Prof. Amartya Sen and Dr. Verghese Kurien are the other names that make up  and sort of redeem this chapter.






No comments: