Saturday, March 26, 2016

What Makes Me A Good Indian?

I have a mother and I love her very much. I love my country very much too. I must confess I find no special affinity towards a cow, at least no more than I would towards a goat or a hen. I have no confusion in my head about my mother, my country or cows.

I would like to state that I am a patriot and a very proud Indian.  In fact being an Indian is the one identity I value more than any other. Much much more than my religious or regional identity. Being a fauji kid I guess this part comes easy to me.

I don’t think a cow is equal to either my country or my mother.  My mother is not equal to my country or a cow. Similarly my country is not equal to my mother or to a cow.  I think it is important for me to state this because a lot of people are confused between the three.  It is possible for an intelligent person to compartmentalize logically.

So, am I a good Indian? Of course I am. “What is a good Indian?” you might ask. I’ll tell you why I think I am a good Indian.

I am a good Indian because I believe all Indians are equal. Of course I also believe that all people are equal in case some of you miss that.  
I am a good Indian because I believe in a policy of live and let live.
I am a good Indian because I pay my taxes honestly. Sure, I don't like it. But it doesn't say anywhere that I have to like it too.
I am a good Indian because I care about what happens to other Indians. I am capable of feeling empathy for fellow citizens.
I am a good Indian because I don’t discriminate against my fellow Indians.  Did I say that before? Maybe, but always nice to say it again and underline it.
I am a good Indian because I don’t incite violence against other Indians. Actually I don’t incite violence against other nationalities either.
I am a good Indian because I obey the laws of this country. Not just the laws that seem convenient to me.
I am a good Indian because I don’t believe I am right all the time. Actually, when I stop to hear the other point of view I am surprised at how often I am not right.
I am a good Indian because I concede that people I don’t always agree with are also Indians and they have as much right to India as I have.
I am a good Indian because I don’t lie as per my convenience.
I am a good Indian because I don’t cheat or steal.
I am a good Indian because I don’t defraud banks or other institutions dealing in public wealth.
I am a good Indian because I believe in paying for that I consume.
I am a good Indian because I don’t spit on the roads, streets or public spaces. Ditto garbage. 
I am a good Indian because I stand in queues like everyone else.
I am a good Indian because I question everything including second hand wisdom that is often handed down as gospel truth.
I am a good Indian because I don’t try to get ahead at the cost of other Indians. Be it in traffic or in any other aspect of life.
I am a good Indian because I don’t make up angst to suit my politics.
I am good Indian because I don’t forward, retweet or share like a cancer every unverified post, that suits my politics, I see on the Internet.
I am good Indian because I don’t play convenient politics over a dead person. Regardless of their religion or politics.
I am a good Indian because I don’t force my religion upon others. I also believe religion is deeply personal and doesn’t belong in public.
I am a good Indian because a laal batti normally works as a red rag for me.
I am a good Indian because I believe I am an ordinary person with nothing particularly special about me that make either my opinion or me more important than the next person.
I am a good Indian because I don’t suggest moving to Pakistan to anyone who disagrees with me. I have no quarrel with those who wish to live in Pakistan but I am not showing a red card to anyone and sending them off that way.


No comments: